Job Posting: College Counselor
Subiaco Academy, a Catholic, Benedictine, college-preparatory boarding/day school for boys in grades 7-12 located in Subiaco, AR, is seeking a person to fill the position of College Counselor. This person should have a passion for working with high school students and a desire to assist them in matriculating to the best-fit college or university after high school. The position begins in February 2021.
Job Description: The primary role of the college counselor is to assist third and fourth-year high school students with the preparation of necessary college entrance documentation and ensure that students are meeting all requirements to enter college after graduation. The college counselor prepares the standardized testing program for students in grades 7-12. Candidates should be excellent communicators both in person and in writing. He or she should be highly organized, detail-oriented, and highly skilled at working with students, parents, and colleagues.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Arrange trips to local college fairs
- Build and maintain relationships with college admissions professionals
- Check and distribute documents and correspondence
- Coordinate college event planning and recruiter visits
- Maintain strong working knowledge of colleges and universities; monitor changes in higher education
- Educate families about college admissions, financial aid, and scholarship possibilities
- Educate students on appropriate interviewing techniques, self-assessment tools, and application essay writing guidelines
- Guide students and the parents/guardians through the college admissions and application process including understanding and utilizing SCOIR, the college admission data management system
- Monitor individual student progress through the college application process
- Prepare supplementary material to be sent to colleges such as transcripts and letters of recommendation and ensure that they are sent.
- Serve as the coordinator for all on-campus testing which includes AP tests, the CLT, the PSAT, and testing for students with learning differences
- Work with the registrar to oversee transcripts and testing records
- Maintain databases that pertain to the college counseling office
- Serve as a member of the Students Services team to promote a well-balanced, successful life for academy students
- Assist with other related duties as assigned by the Assistant Head for Academics and/or Headmaster
Requirements: minimum—a bachelor’s degree. Preferred a Master’s Degree in Guidance or College Student Personnel and some experience in working with students in grades 7-12 or young college students. As Subiaco Academy is a Catholic, Benedictine boarding school, the preference is for a practicing Catholic; however, persons of other faiths are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply: Interested parties should send a cover letter and resumé which includes references to Dr. David Wright, Headmaster by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to 479-934-1033 to Dr. Wright’s attention. The application deadline is January 19, 2021