The National Honor Society is the nation's premier organization to recognize outstanding high school students. More than just an honor roll, NHS serves to honor those students who have demonstrated excellence in four areas essential to NHS members: Scholarship, Leadership, Service, and Character. These characteristics have been associated with membership in the organization since it began in 1921.
Today, it is estimated that more than one million students participate in activities of the NHS. Chapters are found in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, many U.S. territories, and Canada. Chapter membership not only recognizes students for their accomplishments, but challenges them to continue to strive for excellence.
National Honor Society Membership:
Sophomores and juniors interested in becoming a member of the National Honor Society may submit a candidacy form by
. The Faculty Council will evaluate candidates based on the following criteria:
- The student must have a minimum of a 3.75 cumulative GPA.
- The student has an average of 20 community service hours per year enrolled at Subiaco.
- He is effective in fostering good will among various student groups.
- He distinguishes himself by his unselfishness toward his fellow students and the school.
- He has earned the students’ and teachers’ respect and has proven his character by his personal actions during his years of attendance.
- He is generally well behaved both in class and in the dorms.
- He does not foster disharmony among the various student groups.
- He does not denigrate, slander, or defame the Abbey and/or Academy community in his words or actions.
Candidacy forms will be available
through the College Counseling Office. If selected, candidates will become members during a formal induction ceremony held in the Spring. Active members must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.75 and actively participate in NHS meetings and service projects.
Appeals for Non-selection:
If a student is not selected for membership, he will be notified by the NHS sponsor regarding the reason(s) for non-selection. Students will have one week from the date of notification to appeal the decision. A letter of appeal should be addressed to the headmaster and returned by the specified deadline.